The Allied Cemetery of Zeitenlik of Thessaloniki is the largest military necropolis of the country, where 20,500 soldiers of the Entente allies have been buried, who fought in the Macedonian Front during the First World War.
It is located on the Lagkada Street. It is assumed that the particular location was chosen because of the existence of the Catholic cemetery of St. Vincent and Paul, in the same space, but also the conversion of neighboring buildings of Lazariston into a hospital.
The cemetery is divided into five sections, according to the nationality those who died:
- French section: 8.089
- Serbian section: 7.500
- Italian section: 3.000
- British section: 1.600
- Russian section: 400
The Serbian cenotaph at the entrance of the cemetery was built in the period 1928-1936. In the ossuary of its basement, the bones of 5.500 Serbian soldiers are kept, a fact that makes it an important national site of pilgrimage for the Serbs